Oral cancer can occur in any part of the mouth including cheeks, tongue, lips, palate, pharynx as well as sinuses. The prevalence of oral cancer is higher in countries where chewing tobacco is a common practice like India, Taiwan, China etc. Different types of oral cancer treatment in Mumbai as also mentioned in the article.
Symptoms of oral cancer
It is far easier to treat oral cancer when detected early. Here are some symptoms you can check for oral cancer:
- Swellings/bumps, disintegrated areas on the inner or outer area of the mouth.
- Red or white velvety patches within the mouth.
- Bleeding through the mouth without any reason
- Indescribable tenderness or soreness in the mouth.
- Active sores in the mouth for more than two weeks.
- Painful swallowing and chewing.
- Sore throat and hoarseness.
- Pain in the ear.
- Sudden weight loss.
You must keep a check on the signs mentioned above and if you notice any of them, you must seek the bestoral cancer treatment in Mumbai.
Risk factors for oral cancer
Men are usually more at risk of getting oral cancer than women along with some other factors given below:
- Tobacco usage: Chewing or snorting tobacco is a major risk for developing oral cancer.
- Smoking: Constant smoking of cigarettes or cigars can lead to cancer development in the gums, cheeks and lip lining.
- Alcohol Consumption: The risk intensifies when one overconsumes alcohol along with smoking/taking tobacco.
- Genetics: People who have a family history of cancer are likely to develop oral cancer even if they are non-alcoholic and non-smokers.
- Age: People in their mid-fifties are more at risk.
- HPV (Human Papillomavirus): Some strains of HPV are known to cause Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. It is one of the major reasons for the increase in oral cancer cases within the young population.
- Read Also : dental aligners
Prevention of Oral Cancer
While some reasons like genetics cannot be controlled, a few lifestyle changes can help in decreasing the risk of Oral Cancer.
- Avoid tobacco: Tobacco usage is one of the prime reasons for developing oral cancer.
- Avoid Alcohol: Overconsumption of alcohol can lead to oral cancer.
- Dietary changes: Eating a well-balanced and nutritious diet can decrease the risk of oral cancer to a great extent.
- Sun exposure: Harmful UVA & UVB lights from the sun can cause cancer of lips. You must limit the exposure to direct sunlight and use protective creams containing SPF for the same.
- Self-awareness: You should always keep a check for any new bumps, swelling, tenderness, numbness, pain and denture changes. If you suspect anything abnormal, you must consult the respective physician at the earliest.
Treatment of oral cancer
Oral cancer can be treated in multiple ways depending on the stage of cancer, your age, comorbidities and the area where it has occurred.
- Chemotherapy: Using anti-cancer drugs which kill cancer cells in your body.
- Radiation therapy: Using beams of high-energy waves Li, e gamma rays, etc., are used for killing or stunting the growth of cancer cells.
- Surgery: For localised tumour growth, surgery is one of the best ways of removal. There are various types of surgeries depending on the location of the tumour.
With the help of the best ent doctor in Mumbai, you can not only get the best cancer treatment but also learn how to prevent it from happening. Oral cancer is a grave illness so if you ever notice any abnormality in or around your mouth you must consult and get a thorough analysis done by the ent doctor so you can get the appropriate treatment, if necessary.