Dental crowns are one of the most effective and versatile treatment options in dentistry. Dentists use this option for several different treatments. Crowns are largely known for creating beautiful smiles. However, they can do much more. In this blog, we will disclose some of the key benefits of dental crowns Read.
Dental crown- An excellent option to repair damaged teeth and restore a healthy, functional, & beautiful smile.
A dental crown, also known as a dental cap is generally placed on top of a damaged tooth. These caps play an important role in protecting, covering, and storing the shape of a patient’s teeth. These work magically when all other options like fillings fail to provide the desired results. They not only restore the functions of your mouth but can also blend in exceptionally well with your smile. What makes them an even more popular option is that they don’t need any special care over time. Just regular good oral hygiene is enough to keep them in better condition.
These crowns or caps are made out of different materials such as porcelain, resin, metals, and ceramics. Your dentist may suggest you the best type of crown after examining the condition of your teeth. Since a dental crown is used to cover the visible portion of the tooth, it is cemented properly into the place.
Reasons why you would need a dental crown?
There are several reasons to get a dental crown. Some of these reasons include:
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking.
- To keep a weak and cracked tooth together
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover a dental implant
- To restore a broken tooth or a severely damaged tooth
- To cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a tooth after root canal treatment
Benefits of dental crown
Now that you know what exactly a dental crown is and the reasons to use it, let’s have a look at some of the key benefits of dental crowns.
- Crowns help to prevent discomfort: Crowns are widely used by dental professionals to complete a restorative treatment, and repair enamel or any structural damage. When you go through a dental treatment like a root canal, dental filling, or any other treatment, your tooth needs extra protection. This is due to the reason that the treated tooth becomes more sensitive to temperature or pressure. A dental crown or cap not only protects your tooth from further damage but also reduces sensitivity while relieving discomfort and pain.
- Crowns involve a minimally invasive procedure: Unlike other restorative dental treatments that are complicated or intense, crowns are minimally invasive and comparatively simple procedures. After removing the damaged tissue and cleaning the enamel, a crown is placed over the treated tooth to protect it from further damage. A crown is usually made in a laboratory after taking the impressions of the tooth. In the meanwhile, a temporary crown is placed on top of the tooth to allow a patient to eat and function normally. Once the crown is ready, it will be placed securely over the tooth where it will become a permanent part of your smile.
- Crowns can be customized easily: One of the best things about crowns is that they can be custom-made to match the shape, size, and shade of your natural tooth. Based on your needs and budget, the dental professional will prepare a customized crown to cover and protect your tooth. Once the crown is placed and the pain lessens on the treated area, no one will not be able to recognize that you are having a dental crown.
- Crowns enhance the appearance of your teeth and smile: Though the primary function of crowns is to restore injured or damaged teeth, they also have cosmetic benefits. Since they can be customized to match the exact shape, size, and color of your natural teeth, they make the appearance of your teeth and smile even and beautiful. Several dentists prefer dental crowns to correct cracks, chips, fractures, misshapen teeth, and discoloration.
- Crowns are a long-lasting solution: As compared to other dental treatment options, crowns are designed using materials that can last for a long time. Crowns look, feel, and function like your natural tooth. Moreover, they are designed to resist the trauma of chewing, biting, and grinding food. To increase the lifespan of your dental crown, you must practice a good dental hygiene regime. With a proper oral care routine, crowns can last for years. Also, make sure to have a regular examination of your teeth so that any issues can be detected on time and necessary actions can be taken. Read Also : teeth braces price in india
To wrap up, dental crowns are one of the most effective and modern dental restoration options. They play an important role in assorted dental procedures. Whether you are facing the issue of a damaged tooth, infection, or cosmetic issue, a dental crown can be the best option to restore the tooth’s functionality and bring back your lost smile. If you are confused about whether to go for a dental crown or not, it is advisable to schedule an appointment with a professional dentist. Your dentist will examine the condition of your teeth and guide you about the best treatment option. He will be able to tell you if getting a dental crown is the right treatment option for your existing teeth condition.